Ayurveda is a system, which uses the inherent principles of nature, to help maintain health in a person by keeping the individual's body in perfect equilibrium with nature. Hence every remedy which comes from Ayurveda is natural remedy. One can prepare such remedies at home. We heard these remedies many times from our grannies (Dadi Maa).
Ayurveda has solution for every disease but it is well known for stomach treatment. Ayurveda’s homely remedy are panacea for stomach.
Stomach Pain is a common and annoying problem in a life. Mostly it is characterized by the pain in any area between the chest and groin. The pain can be mild or severe. But it is not always required that each such pain it stomach pain. There are several other types of pain as well which can mislead you as stomach pain or ache i.e – Appendicitis, Inflammation of the gallbladder, Kidney stones, Urinary tract infections, Hernia etc
The stomach pain which are caused due to Indigestion, Excessive gas or Food poisoning can be easily cured at home by simple “dadi maa ke nuskhe”.
Ayurvedic Homely Remedies for Stomach
Natural Remedies for Stomach Burn
- Take 1 teaspoon fenugreek seed (methi daana) powder along with milk or buttermilk (chhach) twice daily for a few days.
Natural Treatment for Stomach Heaviness
- Mix ¼ teaspoon each powdered cumin (jeera) and black pepper in a glass of buttermilk (chhach). Drink two or three times a day for 2-3 days.
Natural Remedies for Stomach Upset (loose motions)
For children : ripe & sweet apples crushed to a pulp (can be steamed) can be given as 1-4 tablespoon several times a day.
- Mashed ripe banana with a little salt, should be taken 2-3 time a day.
- A teaspoon of date (khajoor) paste mixed with a little honey, given three times a day is very effective for regulating the bowels
- 5-10 gms of amla seed powder mixed with buttermilk (chhach) should be taken for 1-2 days.
- Crush 8-10 curry leaves (curry patta). Mix with a cup of thin buttermilk (chhach) and have 2-3 times a day.
- Mix juice of 1 large pomegranate (anaar) and 1 glass of sugar cane juice (ganne ka ras). Have 4 times a day
- A Fast with only buttermilk, curd, curd and rice or bananas proves very effective.
- Avoid raw vegetables and fruits such as orange, mosambi, papaya, pineapple and spices.
- Drink plenty of water to which a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt has been added to guard against dehydration.
- A strong cup of unsweetened black tea is very effective.
Natural Remedies for Stomach ache or pain
Mix 1 tsp each of mint juice and limejuice. Add some ginger juice and black salt in it. Drink this mixture for quick stomach pain relief.
- Take a small piece of ginger and grate it. Thereafter, squeeze out its juice. Apply the juice on the bottom of your belly and massage gently. It is an effective natural remedy for stomach ache.
- Eat a herb which aids digestion, such as ginger ale, or Aloe Vera Juice (an anti-parasitic that aids digestion). Similar herbal teas that help digestion include mint, ginger or chamomile tea
- Enjoy a nice Ginger Beer/Ale - The ginger helps calm down the stomach!
- Sip a glass of iced water slowly or warm/hot water.
- Eat crackers or toast. Sometimes stomach aches are caused by too much acid floating around in your stomach with nothing to do. These foods will help absorb the acid to make things a little more comfortable. Also, sipping a glass of water will help to dilute the acid in your stomach. Drinking milk can neutralize the acid in your stomach too, but be careful as too much of a thicker substance, such as milk, can cause the stomach ache to worsen. You may also just be hungry!
- Try carbonated beverages such as ginger ale, carbonated mineral water , or tonic water (with quinine, it tastes good and it works!)
- Always drinking dairy products, though if the stomach ache is being caused by not enough acid inside the stomach, it is a great idea to drink milk which is a base and neutralizes acid.
- Place an ice cube above, on, or below your belly button and lie down. This may numb the pain temporarily.
- Use a hot water bottle pressed to your abdomen, but be careful it's not so hot that it burns you.
- Try taking a warm bath and relaxing for a little bit in the tub.
- Sit down comfortably and bring your knees up to your chest and stay like that for a minute or two. When you stretch your legs out again, do so slowly
Dadi Maa’s Special Tips for Stomach
Drink lemon tea with some honey added in it for taste. It is an effective dadi maa’s remedy for stomach ache.
- Take 30 grams of pomegranate seeds, sprinkle salt and add a pinch of black pepper. Chew them well and swallow.
- Take 2 grams of oregano seeds, 2 grams of cumin seeds and 2 grams of rock salt. Make a fine powder and squeeze half a lemon on it. Swallow the mixture with a glass of lukewarm water.
- For intestine troubles eat 2 ripe bananas with 250 grams of yoghurt daily for a week. Avoid fried or spiced food and fat.
How to keep your stomach fit
Drink plenty of water, as it helps in ensuring smooth bowel movements
- Eat green leafy vegetables and fruits.
- Avoid processed food like cheese, chocolate and dairy products.
- Do not take spicy food, caffeine, alcohol and cigarettes.
- Drinking black coffee tends to aid the digestive process.
Exercise, Yoga and other Tips for Stomach
Regular morning walk and light exercises also helps to keep your digestive system healthy and prevents stomach pain.
- Breathe slowly, in and out at a constant pace.
- Lean on towards the wall.
- Lie on your back and rub your stomach circularly, up and down.
- Place some pillows below your feet.
- Lie down for an hour and have some relax. Don't do any activities even if you feel better.
- Place a heating pad on your abdomen to give temporary pain relief
- Place a cool moist washrag over your forehead and watch tv and just relax.
- Listen to some music if you get sleepy.
- Lie on your left side for some 5 min on a comfortable bed and check if it will help you to burp. As stomach is on the left side of the body and the esophagus enters the stomach on the right had side. Hence, the bubbles of gas can rise to that entry point and make a burp possible.
Stomach pain could be a serious medical condition like allergies or food poisoning. If you are having severe pain in lower right part of your abdomen, loss of appetite, and/or fever, go to the hospital. It could be appendicitis.